Sunday, April 4, 2010

Wendy's Quilt...






I have been in a purple mood for a while now.... and Log Cabin blocks are one of my favorite blocks to do from Helena's Class. Last year to perfect sewing them, I bought some stashes of quilting fabric off Craigslist (FOR CHEAP!), and just started sewing blocks with no goal in mind other than perfect my stitching and not get any wonky offset blocks. I can make perfectly square blocks finally! Quilting is my TV, I would really like it if we could remove the U-Verse in this house.

I took most of the blocks (I chucked the blocks that I was not happy with) and donated them to the orphan pile for my quilt guilds Christmas party, where hopefully someone would like them enough to want to buy them and make a quilt top. When I assembled the 156 blocks, I realized, that from far away it still looked too monochrome for me. I am a color freak. I need lots of color!

While digging into my latest fabric treasure clothesbasket from a Craigslist seller (50.00 for 3 huge overflowing baskets of fabric, fat quarters and skinny 8's; plus you get to keep the clothesbaskets!) I got everything unpacked sorted by uncut size, scanned for Electronic Quilter 6 and put away for a while.

I found enough fabric that screamed Wendy. My friend Wendy is very dear to me, and she is a purple passion freak. Its GOTTA BE PURPLE. LOTS AND LOTS OF PURPLE; that is what makes Wendy happy. I covered one of my walls with 2 flannel flat sheets and started playing with the blocks. I found out I needed another 28 blocks to make a queen size quilt top. Back to the cutting board, and away I go.

By swapping out some of the middle blocks in the Log Cabin block with green, I think it adds life to the quilt.

I have to find extra wide quilt backing, and then it goes off to the Long Arm lady who will quilt it, and I will sew on the binding.

1 comment: